In the historical centre of the city, in what was once the ancient Roman Forum, Piazza delle Erbe, stands the Torre dei Lamberti.
Today, with its 84 metres, and the many architectural changes that have appeared during the course of its 800 years or more of history, it is the tallest building in Verona.
Construction began in 1172 at the behest of the noble and mysterious Lamberti family, of which nothing is known. They chose the Romanesque style, that was typical of the era, in brick alternating with tufo, still visible in the lower part of the building.
The Tower, which at the time was only 37 metres high, was then integrated into the Palazzo del Consiglio, built after the establishment of the Free City. Equipped in 1295 with two Rengo and Marangona bells, the tower was called “Torre delle Campane”.
In 1403 lightning struck the top of it but they only began the long restoration and elevation in 1448 that ended sixteen years later with the addition of the octagonal bell chamber in brick and white marble.
The Tower reached its current 84 meters in height and still did not have the look that we know now.
Only in 1779 it was equipped with a clock, placed in place of that of the nearby Torre Gardello who had stopped working.
Since 1972 the Tower has been open to the public who can climb up to the belfry to admire an unrivalled view of the city and its surroundings.